THE TOWN OF WOODBURY WAS CREATED TWICE
Woodbury had gone through numerous geographic and name changes prior to its incorporation in 1889. Until 1764, the area was part of an enlarged Goshen. In that year, Goshen was divided into two parts with Woodbury becoming part of Cornwall. During the American Revolution, the area was shown on maps as Woodbury Clove. By 1799, Cornwall was also divided with Woodbury joining the present day Monroe and Tuxedo to become the Town of Cheesekook. This name was changed to Smithfield or Southfield and in 1808 became Monroe in honor of the newly elected United States President James Monroe.
WHERE DOES "WOODBURY" COME FROM?
In addition to the flour and grist mills, the area's industry was dominated by a large tourism business as well as a famous fly rod (fishing rod) manufacturing business. Woodbury was the home to both the Payne Rod Company and the Leonard Rod Company.
GATEWAY TO ORANGE COUNTY
The largest employer and tourist attraction in the town is the Woodbury Common Premium Outlet Center located at Exit 16 of the N.Y.S. Thruway. Shoppers come from near and far, including internationally, to shop the approximate 220 upscale stores including Sachs, Liz Claiborne, Tommy Hilfiger and Bass.
On top of the mountain behind Woodbury Common is the
House, a mansion originally built by E.H. Harriman, the railroad
tycoon, as a summer home for his family. The Arden House and surrounding
property is currently owned by Columbia University and used as a
satellite facility for the college. Both the Arden House
and smaller Arden Homestead are also used by many businesses
for seminars and multi-day conferences.